Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Huit.

Books are an excellent substitute for parents. They provide not only experience unmatched by most, but the way they communicate their experiences is oftentimes poetic, artful and truly and inspiration.

Though I remember little of my childhood, in my teens I was raised by the likes of Dostoyevsky, Ralph Ellison and Tolstoy. These men taught me everything about all aspects of life through stories, poetry and social commentary. I’m forever grateful to these men.

But my teachings have not solely been limited to men. For women have played a major role in my development philosophically and poetically. With the likes of Beauvoir, Rand and Angelou, I’ve come to see life through a different perspective; these women have replaced my own mother, welcoming me with open arms intellectually. I am grateful to them as well for the impressions they’ve made upon me.

I shall not forget their lessons. I can only wish to pay you homage one day through the ways you have reached me: through poetry and literature.

No comments: